This from Indivisible:
This is a do-or-die moment for the ACA. Exactly seven years to the day of the Affordable Care Act becoming law, the House of Representatives will be voting to repeal it and replace it with TrumpCare—a plan that would lead to 24 million Americans losing their health care.
Republicans are rushing to get this bill through before the upcoming April recess, ignoring the normal legislative process, because they don’t want to face you, their constituents. They are attempting to ram through a TrumpCare bill that will cut coverage for millions and raise premiums for millions more. Their proposal simultaneously guts Medicaid and gives a $600 billion tax break to the wealthy and corporations.
Millions of lives hang in the balance. The House vote this coming week is the first step towards enactment of this devastating TrumpCare bill. But you and your Indivisible group have the power to stop this.
This is what you need to do this weekend and in the coming days before the vote:
- Saturday & Sunday: Activate your group. Do your research, gather your speakers and personal stories, and prepare with your group. Make sure that every single person knows just how important this week is. Use our new “Save the ACA” resources to understand exactly what the impacts of TrumpCare will be on you and your neighbors. Host an emergency conference call or meeting and get ready.
- Key tactics for applying your constituent power this week:
- Show up. Show up at your Member of Congress’ (MoCs) District Office with your group to demand that your MoC vote against TrumpCare. Bring affected individuals to these meetings and use personal stories as much as possible. Your stories are powerful—stories change minds and alter what is politically possible. Your story should answer this question: How will you or your family be affected by TrumpCare?
- Create a public demonstration. Hold a vigil outside your MoC’s office. Invite the media. Their vote in favor of this bill would mean the difference between life or death for thousands each year. You need to demonstrate your resolve. If your member has already committed to vote no, show up and thank them. In a big way.
- Make your calls to your Representative. Start with this script and tell your Representative that a vote to take away health care from 24 million people is a vote you’ll be watching. Spread the word on social media using #RejectTrumpCare and tell your friends, neighbors, and colleagues to call their Representatives.
- Get creative. You’re leading this movement—it’s your constituent power, so use it how you see fit. We’ve seen some local Indivisible groups create scrapbooks of local constituents who would be affected by TrumpCare. Others have brought their children who stand to lose coverage to the MoC’s district office. Your goal is to make clear to your Senators and Representatives—and any local media who will listen—what TrumpCare means for you and your family, friends, and neighbors.
- Plan a Friday district office visit to hold your MoCs accountable. The House vote is expected Thursday. No matter how your MoC votes, you should provide IMMEDIATE feedback (positive or negative) by making a visit to their district office on Friday with your Indivisible group. Your MoCs will have to take more votes in the future on TrumpCare to pass the final bill. They’ll be holding their breath and watching carefully after this vote, hoping that the outrage dies down. By providing immediate feedback today, you’ll change their political calculus tomorrow.